Cyberattacks cost businesses an average of $3.86 million per breach. How can you protect your business from these costly threats? One solution is Microsoft Sentinel.
Cybersecurity threats are a growing concern for businesses of all sizes. Far too often, companies face various cyber threats that can cause significant financial, reputational, and operational damage. In fact, according to a study conducted by the Ponemon Institute, the average cost of a data breach for a company is $3.86 million. This includes costs such as lost business, legal fees, and public relations expenses. With cybercriminals becoming more advanced and sophisticated, companies need to have robust cybersecurity measures in place. Microsoft Sentinel is one solution businesses can use to help fight cyber criminals and attacks.
Microsoft Sentinel is a cloud-native security information and event management (SIEM) and security orchestration automated response (SOAR) solution. Microsoft Sentinel uses artificial intelligence (AI) to analyze vast amounts of data and detect threats in real-time. This allows businesses to identify potential threats and take appropriate action to protect their systems and data.
The Impact of Cyber Criminals on Businesses
Cyberattacks can result in the loss of sensitive data, financial losses, and damage to a company’s reputation. The impact of cyber criminals on businesses can be devastating. Below are some statistics that illustrate the impact of cybercrime on businesses:
- A company’s average data breach cost is $3.86 million.
- According to the 2021 State of SMB Cybersecurity Report by the Ponemon Institute, the average data breach cost for an SMB was $2.1 million in 2020, and a staggering 76% of SMBs experienced a cyberattack in 2020.
- Small businesses are especially vulnerable to cyberattacks. 43% of all cyberattacks target small businesses.
- Cyberattacks can cause significant damage to a company’s reputation. According to a study by Kaspersky Lab, 27% of consumers would stop doing business with a company that suffered a data breach.
- Ransomware attacks are on the rise, with an increase of 715% in 2020 compared to the previous year.
- According to the 2021 Cost of Cybercrime Study By Accenture, the average cost of cybercrime for a business increased by 13% in 2020, reaching $13 million per organization.
- The healthcare industry is one of the most targeted industries for cyberattacks, with an average cost per breach of $7.13 million.
- According to the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3), cybercrime cost businesses $4.2 billion in losses in 2020 alone.
These statistics demonstrate the need for businesses of all sizes to implement robust cybersecurity measures.
How can Microsoft Sentinel Help?
Microsoft Sentinel is designed to help businesses detect and respond to cyber threats quickly and effectively. It uses AI to analyze vast amounts of data from various sources to identify potential threats.
Microsoft Sentinel also integrates with other Microsoft security solutions to provide a holistic view of an organization’s security posture. This integration enables Sentinel to detect threats that other solutions might miss.
Below are some of the ways that Microsoft Sentinel can help businesses:
- Real-time threat detection: Microsoft Sentinel uses AI to analyze data in real-time and detect potential threats. This allows businesses to take immediate action to prevent cyberattacks.
- Automated threat response: Microsoft Sentinel can automate responses to threats, such as quarantining infected devices or blocking suspicious traffic.
- Integration with other security tools: Microsoft Sentinel can integrate with other security tools, such as Azure Active Directory and Microsoft Defender for Endpoint, to provide a comprehensive security solution.
- Simplified security management: Microsoft Sentinel provides a single console for managing security across multiple sources, making it easier for businesses to monitor and manage their security.
What are the Benefits for Small and Medium-Sized Businesses?
Microsoft Sentinel is particularly beneficial for SMBs, which often lack the resources to implement and manage complex cybersecurity solutions. Sentinel’s cloud-based architecture makes it easy to deploy and manage with minimal upfront costs. SMBs can also take advantage of the solution’s pay-as-you-go pricing model, which allows them to scale up or down as needed.
Here are some of the benefits:
- Affordable pricing: Microsoft Sentinel is priced based on data ingestion, making it an affordable option for small and medium-sized businesses.
- Scalability: Microsoft Sentinel can scale as a business grows, making it a flexible solution that can adapt to changing needs.
- Real-time threat detection: Microsoft Sentinel’s real-time threat detection can help small and medium-sized businesses respond quickly to potential threats.
- Simplified security management: Microsoft Sentinel provides a single console for managing security, making it easier for small and medium-sized businesses to manage their security.
Cybercriminals pose a significant threat to businesses of all sizes, and the costs of a data breach can be astronomical. Microsoft Sentinel is a powerful tool that companies can use to detect and respond to cyber threats in real-time. Its AI-powered technology and integration with other security tools make it a comprehensive and effective solution for protecting business systems and data. Additionally, small and medium-sized businesses can benefit from Microsoft Sentinel’s affordability, scalability, and simplified security management.
With cyberattacks becoming more advanced and frequent, businesses must take cybersecurity seriously. Microsoft Sentinel can help businesses stay ahead of the game by providing real-time threat detection and automated response, making it an essential tool in the fight against cybercriminals.
Meet the Author
John has over 25 years of experience from Information Systems Consultant, Information Technology Director to Network Administrator in both Corporate and Small Business Environments.
Connect on Linkedin